IELTS Test Preparation Course + support and direct transfer to our partner institutions.
The program length depends on the level of the student. The minimum length is 3 months and the maximum is 1 year depending on the skill level and the effort put forth.
Upon completion of our IELTS Test Preparation Course students are able to directly transfer to our partner institutions.
In the University Pathways program, our focus is on getting you ready for the University or college of your choice. In order to do this we will help you improve on the following areas to ensure that you can do the best job possible in your educational career:
1. Time Management – the IELTS and all University Exams will require you to produce things like answers and essays quickly and with few mistakes. Our program will get you formulating, writing, reviewing and finishing essays and test questions faster and with efficiency.
2. Research – finding background information and being able to back up your statements with fact is an important skill for post-secondary education. We will guide you through the process of locating, processing and developing information that will be the backbone of your essays and reports.
3. Essay writing – writing a solid essay that is put together well is an important skill, and many programs at the University and college levels are highly dependent upon them. Your instructor will help you to learn how to outline, bring your ideas into your essay, and how to blend the thoughts together to make an effective argument. Practice is the best way to become efficient!
4. Delivering Oral Presentations – Fluency and confidence are the keys to delivering an oral presentation with style. You will learn how to maintain the audience’s attention, move fluently through your presentation, how to be calm in nerve-wracking situations, and how to be confident in what you know. You will also become very good at talking about a subject with very little time to prepare, and do well at it!
5. Testing Confidence – Practice makes a student more confident...and we will help you practice! We will do tests often enough, mark them and adjust our mistakes so that testing becomes a relaxed and ‘second nature’ activity.
You won’t need to be stressed when you go into a test ever again!
The University Pathways Program comes with the following free services:
1. Internet and computer use during office hours
2. Access to our internet service for your laptop or mobile devices
3. Advice and counselling regarding applications, entrance requirements, accommodations, and more
4. Emergency contact 24 hours a day
5. Mail and package holding service while you are in Canmore so that you can have a mailing address as soon as you enter Canada
6. Pathways counsellors will help you to choose the right program for you, and the right school for you based on what you want to learn.
7. After you choose a program and a school, your Pathways counsellor will help you with the application process, the communication with the school and the organization of your next big move...to University or College in Canada!
Popular programs offered by our partnering Universities and Colleges:
|1. Health Sciences:
||2. Faculty of Business:
||3. The Faculty of Education:
|• BA in Community Health
• BA in Community Health/Pharmacy Technician Diploma
• BA in Community Health/Dental Hygiene Diploma
• BA in Child Health
• BSc in Health Sciences
• Physical Education
• Public Health
• Recreation and Leisure Studies
• Sport Management
• Health administration
|• Business and administrative studies
• Computer and Management Information Systems
• Human Resource Management
• Human Services
• Legal Studies
|• BA Child and Youth Studies/Bed
• BA Integrated Studies/Bed
• BPhEd/Bed BA in Physical Education
• BSc Integrated Studies/Bed
• Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Bachelor of Education
• Consecutive Teacher Education
• Early Childhood Education
• BEd in Adult Education or Certificate in Adult Education
|4.The Faculty of Humanities:
||5.Faculty of Mathematics and Science
||6.Faculty of Social Science
|• Applied Linguistics
• Canadian Studies
• The Classics (Art and Archaeology, classical languages)
• Dramatic Arts
• English Language and Literature
• General Studies
• Interactive Arts and Science
• Art and Culture
• Visual Arts
|• Applied Computing
• Biological Sciences
• Biomedical Sciences
• Computer Science
• Earth Sciences
• Environmental Geoscience
• Oenology and Viticulture
|• Business Communication
• Business Economics
• Child and Youth Services
• Distinct and Diverse Communities
• Film Studies
• General Studies
• International Political Economy
• Labour Studies
• Media and Communication
• Political Science
• Popular Culture
• Tourism and Environment
• Women’s Studies
And so much more than this!
Contact Banff Education Centre for an updated list of current University and College partners.
• Students must receive at least a score of IELTS 6.5 before they can be transferred to another College or University Program. Other requirements and documents may be required by the University/College.
• The program includes the same schedule as the IELTS Test Preparation Course.
Adult Programs: BEC FAQs for the Pathways Program
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long is the program?
This program is a 12 week program with monthly start dates.You can extend your program length if you feel that you need more time to prepare for the IELTS exam or for university by practising your essay and researching skills.
2. How many hours a week is the IELTS/Pathways Program?
The IELTS program is a 30 hour/week program, divided up into English Communication classes, IELTS test preparation classes (Teacher based) and Computer Based IELTS test preparation classes.
3. Is the University Pathways Program actually free?
The connection to our partner Universities is free for students that study for at least 24 weeks in the IELTS TEST PREPARATION PROGRAM. This does not include the University costs which must be paid to the University or College that you attend.
4. If my level is not high enough or I fail the test what do I do then?
The teachers at Banff Education Centre are professions that are dedicated to helping you to meet your required level. In the rare case that a student is not able to achieve the required level, the students may need to extend their time in the preparation program.
5. Can I get conditional acceptance before I leave my country?
Conditional acceptance is possible if you have all of the prerequisites for the program that you want to take. The University will then give you a letter of conditional acceptance if it is within their policy to do that. This being said, some universities require you to finish your course with us, and to get your band score from your IELTS exam before they will issue an acceptance.
6. What Universities do you have partnerships with?
We are adding new partnerships to our list right now. We currently have partnerships with Brock University, Athabasca University, and College of the Rockies to name a few. Please contact the Banff Education Centre for an updated list of current University and College partners and possible University Programs.
Back to FAQ Menu
Steps towards BEC
1. Fill out the application.
a) If you are using a representative or agency of BEC, please ask them for the correct application form.
b) If you are not working with an agency or BEC representative, click here to APPLY NOW.
2. Make a payment of at least 20%.
3. Get your visa and documents ready for travel and make your airline reservations.
4. Pay for the balance of your tuition and payments owing at least 4 weeks before your first day in class or before you take your first class.
5. Take our online English test.
6. Begin classes and your journey in Canada!
To join the IELTS Test Preparation course, students must have a minimum BEC Level 3. Students that do not meet this minimum level will be moved to the English Communication program 38 lessons/week (30 hours/week).
Please click here to see the BEC Levels and level comparisons with well-known test levels.
The IELTS test was introduced in 1989 to assess "whether candidates are ready to train in the medium of English". It is now recognized by Canadian universities, government agencies and employers around the globe. The exam is taken by over 1,000,000 people every year.
IELTS classes focus on: test question analysis, timed practice to increase skill fluency as well as accuracy, grammar and vocab as pertains specifically to IELTS writing and speaking, test-taking strategies (such as prediction, using context clues, inference, etc.); English Communication classes to improve your real-world English to help you AFTER you pass your test!
This program is a 12 week program with monthly start dates.The practice component is offered at BEC along with weekly practice tests so students are able to see their progress through the course. The official testing is offered at an Official IELTS Test facility. (The closest testing facility for BEC-Rocky Mountains is in Calgary)
The Test Format
There are four sub-tests, or modules, to the IELTS test:
Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
The course includes lessons that are speciﬁc to the IELTS test, the four components, key exam strategies, plus our English Communication portion, that also covers Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing skills.
All areas complementing each other to improve your scores and English ability.
|July 2, 8, 15, 22, 29
||July 7, 14, 21, 28
|Aug. 5, 6, 12, 19, 26
(Aug. 5 Rocky Mountains no lessons)
||Aug. 4, 5, 11, 18, 25
(Aug. 4 Rocky Mountains no lessons)
IELTS Test Preparation Program & University Pathways Brochure
1 Week Schedule
|8:45 - 9:30
||GE Lesson 1
||GE Lesson 9
||GE Lesson 13
||GE Lesson 21
||GE Lesson 25
|9:30 - 10:15
||GE Lesson 2
||GE Lesson 10
||GE Lesson 14
||GE Lesson 22
||GE Lesson 26
|15 Minute Break
|10:30 - 11:15
||GE Lesson 3
||GE Lesson 11
||GE Lesson 15
||GE Lesson 23
||GE Lesson 27
|11:15 - 12:00
||GE Lesson 4
||IELTS (Computer) Lesson 12
||GE Lesson 16
||IELTS (Computer) Lesson 24
||GE Lesson 28
|40 Minute Break
|12:40 - 13:25
||GE Lesson 5
||GE Lesson 17
||GE Lesson 29
|13:25 - 14:10
||GE Lesson 6
||GE Lesson 18
||IELTS (Computer) Lesson 30
|15 Minute Break
|14:25 - 15:10
||GE Lesson 7
||GE Lesson 19
||FREE -NO CLASSES
|15:10 - 15:55
||IELTS (Computer) Lesson 8
||IELTS (Computer) Lesson 20
||FREE -NO CLASSES
Note: GE = General English/ English Communication. The computer based lesson times are put in this schedule as example times and will be scheduled at
different times depending on the class. Each lesson is 45 minutes long. The BEC-Rocky Mountains schedule is different in 2013.
We are correlating the skills essential in the benchmarks performance indicators to the IELTS band scores in each of the four skill areas. The major focus will be on preparing the learners for an IELTS band score of at least 6.5 to 7 or higher.
Provide comprehensive English language training to prepare the language learner with the essential test taking and language skills and confidence to achieve an academic score of 6.5 to 7 and higher in IELTS.
• To provide ample strategic opportunities to listen to and speak on the themes listed in the IELTS syllabus
• To acquire a broad range of English vocabulary based on real life
• To study relevant themes
• To develop a sound knowledge of English grammar
• To develop effective writing and reading skills
• To maximize the English language learning experience in an English speaking community
• To acquire necessary academic study skills that will further the learners ability to succeed in IELTS
• To prepare for the IELTS examination by practicing taking tests and preparing learners for all 4 IELTS skill areas in the academic stream.
• To help the learner gain the confidence to use English for academic purposes
Back to top